Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I am Back, Part 2

I am indeed back, and I hurt from glorious combat. The first utterance upon my arrival being an all too enthusiastic "Woo Hoo! the pain has returned!!!" from Keith. It was really fun, but I have fallen out of the limited shape I was in. No Matter, I will return to power.

On the drive home, I was thinking to myself - as I often do - about my latest activities, such as watching a lot of the video's from "That Guy with The Glasses". If you have not heard of it, check it out, as there is much geekery and the like. In any case, I got to thinking of the reasoning - or importance if you will - of the video watching.

That is to say I was contemplating the intrinsic value of watching so many videos. Part of me supposed that it was mindless brain-rot to have on in the background, and it is a viable possibility. However, in an act of self-reflective cognitive dissonance, I argued that there is a value to it. For example, watching the videos of Linkara, who makes it his business to verbally (and occasionally physically) trash bad comics. Although bad comics by themselves serve no real benefit, he imparts knowledge of other good comics and comic book characters as well.

thus was the avalanche of understanding - although being strange knowledge, it is in fact knowledge, which is inherently valuable. Comic book knowledge, although based on entertainment, is a human endeavour. It is an area of human knowledge, with thousands, if not millions of minds thinking about the same thing, knowing the same characters, acknowledging the same characters values, and partaking in the same rich mythologies.

At which point it occurred to me that comic books, for all their childish beginnings, form a strange cultural blip. Consider the following (Bill Nye); in countries across the globe, wherever there is relatively modern societies, people will have heard of the same character - Superman. Moreover, many cultures have taken this character and fused him with their own values, while retaining the original. It would be difficult to find anyone in the modern world who could not answer the simple question "Who is Superman?".

I suppose I will leave it there for now.
- The Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment